Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My first solo turkey!

There she is! My first solo turkey. I have cooked a turkey once with my friend Catherine in Thailand, but I've never actually cooked one on my own! I knew this year that we would be going out for Thanksgiving because of my Dad's back surgery...Mom has had a lot on her plate already and we all knew that having a big gathering at her house this year would be too much. Going out was something we've done before, so we had no problem with the plan to do that. But...I saw these turkeys on sale at Kroger. I just couldn't resist. I got a small one (well, it's a little over 9 lbs) and only paid around $8 for it! Monday I started thawing it, and last night I looked online for some advice. I saw that one lady recommended lifting the skin on the turkey breast and putting butter and spices inside. So, I did that. I had some minced onion, some butter, and a little sage on the inside. On the outside I sprinkled garlic salt, regular salt, and some pepper and then brushed some olive oil on it. The lady suggested sealing the turkey by putting it in the oven at 475 degrees for 20 min. I did that with foil on the top. Then I knocked the temp down to 250 degrees. I cooked it on that temp for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours with foil on. Then I knocked the temp up to 300 degrees for the last 30 min and took off the foil. This is my result! It was a nice, juicy, and tasty! With the turkey all cooked, we decided to make it a spontaneous pre-Thanksgiving family meal! I added some shoepeg corn, carrots/peas, stovetop stuffing, and croissants. Joe made a fruit smoothies for dessert. We had Joe's brother and sister over to eat with us. What a fun night! Tomorrow is officially Thanksgiving, but for me, I feel like it started today!
Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Keisha said...

Good Job Stacey! It looks so yummy!!!! Hope yall had a great Thanksgiving! ;)