Monday, January 3, 2011

Divine lemon cookies!

Not too long ago I reviewed a book called Hattaras Girl by Alice J. Wisler. At the end of the book, there was this awesome cookie recipe that the main character talked about during the book. Over the holidays, actually Christmas Eve, I made them for the first time. They were AMAZING! I made them again tonight...and they were even more AMAZING! So I had to pass on the recipe. My glaze was even a little runny this time and they were still good. A must try! First, here's a link to the blog post that Alice did about the cookies. http://http//alicewisler.blogspot.com/2010/11/famous-bailey-house-lemon-cookies.html
But I'll type out the recipe for you on here, too. Enjoy! (They're pretty easy, too!)


The Bailey House lemon cookies
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbs freshly grated lemon peel
  • 1tbs of lemon juice
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Glaze:

  • 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice

Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs. Mix lightly. Add the lemon juice and peel. In another bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the batter and beat at low speed with a mixer, scraping the bowl often. Drop the dough by teaspoons onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from pan and let cool. Mix glaze ingredients and frost cookies. Makes 5 dozen cookies.

2 comments:

Janet Reeves said...

These look really good! I'll have to try them, Stacey. (I may have to read the book, too! First, I'll check out your review.)

The Great Adventure said...

They are SO good! : ) I hope you will read the book...and I hope my review helped. I really enjoyed it. Let me know how you liked the cookies! : )