Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Shining light into the cave


This week I was reminded of those days just after my kids were born and what that was like. What prompted this little trip down memory lane was a hopital visit to a girl in our Sunday School class who just had a baby. Every time we visit a new mom, the memories come flooding back. I had two very different experiences with our little ones.

It's funny how you have everything all planned out when you get ready to have a baby. My plan was to try natural childbirth with our first. I know, crazy right?! But I was going to try. Well, little Sophie just didn't want to come. I hit my due date and was not even close to labor. We went in to be induced and after a day of that, she wasn't showing any signs of coming...still. On Day 2 of being induced she still wasn't coming, but my water broke. I was hopeful...maybe this would move things along! But...it didn't. I was drugged up and all of the sudden Sophie's heart rate dropped and I had to have an emergency c-section. Things definitely didn't go according to plan! After a week in the NICU, Sophie got to come home. It was a tough week for all of us. But, praise the Lord, we had a healthy baby girl!


The weeks following Sophie's birth were pretty tough for me. I don't know if it was post-pardum issues or just realizing that everything I thought about having a child was different than I expected. I had so many expectations for the birth and life with a newborn...and none of them were met! Just about every day I would sit with the baby, watch her, look at her beautiful face, meet her needs...then cry because I was so thankful for her but felt like things weren't going according to "plan". I would pop in Pride and Prejudice and sit in my "cave"...blinds closed, curtains closed, and just go through the motions. A few weeks after we got home, my Mom came to stay with me and help me out. It took a long time for me to recover from the c-section and I was so glad for the help...and companionship! I had worked right up until the birth, and afterwards I was left at home...just the baby and I...when my husband went back to work. It was a big change! I felt guilty for struggling with all of it. Anyway, Mom came and she would cook meals and open up the blinds and curtains. She would encourage me and tell me I was doing a good job. She helped me not to feel so overwhelmed. There was physical light shining into the little cave I was living in, but there was also a light shining into my heart.



Almost exactly two years later, little Isaac was born. Another c-section...this time scheduled...and a much better experience. I still struggled with learning how to handle a newborn and a two year old. Our new baby had chronic ear infections and for quite a while I didn't get more than 5 hours of sleep every night. Let's just say it was a long year. But right after he was born, Mom came again. She cooked and encouraged. Opened those blinds and curtains. I know it was hard for me when she left. I tear up now just thinking about it! : )


I wanted to share all of this to encourage those of you reading (including myself) to be the light in the cave to new moms. I would guess that most women aren't going to feel like sharing their insecurities and struggles as a new mom with just anyone, unless it's a close friend. But we can still be a light. We can take meals, offer to watch older childen for the afternoon, wash a load of clothes, bring over a "survival basket"--a good movie, some popcorn, a book--or just go hang out. For me, after having a second c-section I couldn't lift Sophie for 6 weeks. So I had a two year old that I couldn't put in the car by myself. We were stuck at home unless I had help. Other moms may be experiencing this and would love a helping hand. There are so many opportunities to minister! Let's be the shining light of God's love!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...thanks for the credit you gave me for being there with you during the time after giving birth to your children! I did it because...number one...I love you! Number two...I remember the days when my mom came and stayed with me and cooked and let me sleep. She kind of put me on a schedule. I wanted to give you the same gift she had given me. I do remember the blinds being closed and how it seemed so dark... I had to throw open those blinds! I didn't realize how symbolic that was...but, anyway...I love you and am proud of the mom you are! Sophie and Isaac are truly blessed!

The Great Adventure said...

Thanks, Mom! I really didn't want you to leave after just a week, but you gave me a good start. Now I throw open the curtains and open those blinds every day! It feels too dark if I don't! : )