Sunday, July 24, 2011

Revisiting Colorado through "Breathe"


My current book of choice is "Breathe: A Novel of Colorado". I, of course, picked it up free on Amazon. When I got it I probably read the synopsis, but I had forgotten what it was about when I started. I wasn't sure how I would like it. Well...I do! It's got several elements in a book that I enjoy...a little romantic interest, a nice location (I love the west...just can't help myself), and a mystery. I don't always have to have the mystery on heavy, but I like it when a book isn't totally, completely predictable. It helps me keep wanting to read...and usually stay up later than I should : ).


One thing I like about "Breathe" is the location. Much to my surprise, and joy, the story is set in Colorado Springs, Colorado, which is exactly where my sister lived up until a few months ago. Last year my mother, kids, grandmother, nephew, and I drove...yes drove...for three days across country for a visit. I must say...it was awesome. We got to see so many beautiful sites along the way. Once we got there, I was amazed by the beauty around me. We could see Pike's Peak from everywhere in town. We visited Garden of the Gods, too. Amazing place to see God's beauty! In this novel, they specifically mention Garden of the Gods and Pike's Peak. That was fun to me. So I thought I'd include a few pictures so you could see what they looked like, too! The middle pic is the peak at the Garden of the Gods visitor center and the other two are of the rock formations at GotG. It was breathtaking.



Something else I like about this novel is the history. I haven't checked up on the facts, but it makes sense. Several of the characters in the book are afflicted with consumption and have traveled to a sanitorium in Colorado to, as they call it, "chase the cure". Because of the altitude and thin air, the location is supposed to help improve the health of any with this disease. I didn't realize this about Colorado Springs, but I felt the effects of the thin air when we were there. It was definitely an adjustment.




I haven't finished the book yet, but so far it's very enjoyable. I would definitely recommend it! Once again, happy reading!

No comments: