Monday, August 15, 2011

Back to school!

Today was the day! I set my alarm, pushed the snooze a few times, and dragged myself into the shower to try and wake myself up. Thankfully I had everything ready for our first day of school the night before. Except the big breakfast I was planning for the kids. After scrambling around trying to get everyone diaper-changed, dressed, and going, I had to call my friend that we homeschool with and beg for an extra 15 minutes. My kids needed that special breakfast. Especially since we were out of cereal, poptarts, and frozen waffles (that's how it gets around here the week of payday!). But I do have a nice stockpile of pancake mix, so that was my plan. I also have a huge bag of grits that I've been meaning to fix, but who can wait for water to boil?! So...pancakes it was. I love my electric skillet at such a time as this! And, praise the Lord, Sophie finally slept in this morning! I was hoping that she would get more rest last night because she and I have had a rough couple of days. I can tell when she hasn't had enough rest...she's disobedient, irritable, and not her normal self. Today I have my Sophie back--yay!


After I finished up the cancakes (as Isaac calls them) and tried to get the kids to hurry and eat, our homeschooling buddies arrived to start our day. I can't believe the summer has gone by so fast, but it was fun to get started again. We had our little morning routine, listened to Geography Songs, read a Bible story and prayed, and started memorizing our verse for the week. The girls did a great job! It was a great start to our second year and I really think the girls are going to learn a lot! When I mentioned we would do some cooking together, they both got excited. They love to cook and I love to cook with them. I'm already thinking about the fun things we're going to do together and it makes me smile.


On a writing blog I follow, the writer today challenged readers to think about our niche. It's hard for me to describe myself in one certain niche...I have so many interests. I said so on my comment. But, as I write this entry, I can see a little clearer what my niche is. It's right here, being a wife and Mom, homeschooling my child and others. I love it. I feel my creativity come out and I feel joyful. Just like I'm doing what God has prepared me to do. I believe God wants me to disciple others, and I'm able to do that right here in my home. What a blessing! I definitely have lots of interests: reading, writing, cooking, crafting, etc. I'm still going to try and develop and grow in those areas of my life...but...I know I'm fulfilling my greatest calling by ministering to my family. May God grant me His wisdom!

God bless...and happy school year!

Stacey

No comments: