Monday, August 22, 2011

My Writing Journey...so far

It seems a little surreal to me that I'm trying to write a novel. I may have mentioned this before, but looking back on my life writing has played a role...but it was very much in the background. I attended a writing camp when I was in elementary school and enjoyed it. When I was in high school I entered an essay contest with the local newspaper. The first year I tried I didn't win, but the second year I did! My reward for winning--an all expense paid trip to England for 10 days! Yes, it was amazing! It was my first time on a plane and I didn't know a single person on the trip. I still keep in touch with one of the girls I met on the trip and have lots of great memories! When I got to college, I had to learn a new method of writing...not the 5 paragraph method that was drilled into us in high school. It took me forever to catch on, but once I did it made sense. I really embraced it. I think having that experience my freshman year of college helped me in many of my classes the following years.


But, with all that said, writing has not really been important to me until the past year or so. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading over the years, but never considered writing something of my own. I think it all started when a friend of mine asked me to critique something she wrote. It was fun to read her story, but it was also mentally and spiritually stimulating to think about what was being said. When I finished, I expressed an interest in writing something myself, but more along the lines of Christian fiction than non-fiction. She encouraged me to start after the New Year and just do 10 min. a day. That prompted me to start brainstorming on some story ideas. I wrote out some things that interested me and just started writing. Once I started, it just took off. The story seemed to take a life of its own. Twists and turns came about that I hadn't planned. Next thing I knew, I had written over 200 pages! I also felt a sense of mental and creative stimulation that I hadn't felt in a long time. Having this new hobby was good for me on so many levels. Also during this process, I picked up a free book on Amazon. I thought the book was wonderful. At the end there was an email address that allowed you to write the author. I felt led to write her and tell her how wonderful I thought her story was and even included a tidbit about my budding interest in writing. I wasn't expecting to hear anything back. A few months later, I got an email from her and she was so nice and encouraging. She even offered to help me with my writing! That was unbelieveable to me! I started writing her and getting her input on things. She recommended books, blogs, websites, etc. that have been extremely helpful. She even helped me get involved in a writer's group that could help me with research. It pretty much blows me away how many doors God has opened.


Where am I going with this? Well, I'm not sure! I recently entered a writing contest and got some helpful, but critical, feedback. I wasn't at the top of the score sheet by any means, but I know I'm just beginning to learn and have a lot of room to improve. My perspective is that if I want to grow and learn, it might be tough. I'm confident, though, that God's will is going to be done. My goal is to creatively share Christ with others. This is a fun and enjoyable way to do that. One of my contest judges said I was "preachy"--well, amen! : ) I'm going to do all that I can on my end to share the Gospel of Christ...if I can do it through a novel then that will be great! If God closes that door, then I'll try other things. He is in control.


But I really love this writing thing! : ) I also love all of the Christian fiction writers that I've come in contact with through writing notes and commenting on blogs. It seems like a great community of people who love the Lord and want to honor him through their writing. It's a group that I would love to be a part of. Please pray for me as I continue on my journey. I have no idea where it's going to take me, but I have a supernatural peace about it that I know is from the Lord. I know He can give me the skills and knowledge that I need to continue to improve. Thanks for the support! God bless~Stacey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about your journey in writing! I'm really proud of you for jumping in and seeing what it's like! I have a feeling you're going to be successful...Love, Mom

The Great Adventure said...

Aww...thanks, Mom!! I know if I am successful one day it's because I have someone like you praying for me and encouraging me! Love ya!