Sunday, November 20, 2011

A clean closet and turkey cookies!

Here's my closet. Yes, it's a bit small...part of the deal in having an older house. Over the years I've had a tough time keeping it organized and expressed that to a good friend of mine. She offered to come by and help a sister out. This is the finished product! It's kind of hard to tell because it's so full, but it looks a ton better!
Shoes are neatly stacked on the built in shelves, where I previously had a ton of clothes stacked on. The clothes are now in bins or crates on that top shelf.


This huge piece of luggage was on the top shelf, but we moved it down to the floor and filled it...with a lot of stuff. Just so I wouldn't forget what was in there, we labeled it with some masking tape and a pen. This has been really easy to maintain! I'm so thankful for friends who will take the time to use their gifts to help me!


Shifting gears...last week was our last week of school before the Thanksgiving holidays so I wanted to do something fun. When I was teaching in Thailand one of the other teachers made these cute turkey cookies and I thought we could do that with the kids. We started off with individual bowls with the supplies. For each turkey, you need 1 Oreo cookie, 1 red hot, 1 malted milk ball, about 4 or 5 candy corns, and some peanut butter (for "glue").


You start by twisting the Oreo apart, doing your best to keep as much creme on one side. I bought these holiday Oreos with red creme and they seemed to have a little more filling than the regular ones. So the double stuff Oreos might be better. I showed them how to press the candy corns into the creme to look like turkey "feathers".


Then you put some peanut butter on the cookie without creme and do your best to prop the feathered cookie upright on top of the peanut butter. Putting the milk ball in front kind of helps prop it up. Then you take a little more peanut butter and use it to attach the red hot on top of the milk ball. Then..viola! You have a cute turkey cookie : ). These are Isaac's. They turned out so cute...and delicious!


We invited my friend (the one who helped me with the closet) and her little girl to join us. Her daughter is almost the same age as Isaac, so I thought it would be fun for him to have a little friend. These are her cookies (her Mama helped her : )).


And here are the big girls : ). The did theirs all by themselves...and did a great job! It was a fun treat!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: