Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year....new look

No...I don't have a new look.  Unless you count my growing baby bump : ).  My looks may not have changed much, but a couple of rooms in our house have!  When we learned we had a new addition coming along...and that the addition was a "he"...we knew we had to make some changes.  We have a relatively small house, but I still love it.  It's really a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, but we converted the office-type room in the house into Isaac's room.  I doesn't have a closet, so we put a wardrobe in there.  Our dining room table also only seated 4.  We knew we would need more space in the future.  After talking to my mom about the space issues, she told me that we could trade some of our furniture for some that they had at their house.  What a blessing! 
I don't have any before pics, but these are the after.  Our new dining room...
We now have my parent's old dining room table that they bought when I was little.  It's still in great condition!  Right now we have it at it's smallest size, but it has two pieces you can put in to extend it to seat 6.  Yay!  We also moved our piano to the other wall and go rid of another side table we had there. 
 We moved the wardrobe that was in Isaac's room into the dining room.  This may seem strange, but one thing we really needed was some storage for our homeschooling stuff.  I wanted to get some kind of armoire with shelves, but needed it to be cheap.  The best solution was to repurpose this wardrobe and somehow add shelving inside of it.
 The wardrobe has thin walls and bottom, so we knew we couldn't put anything heavy in there.  I had the idea to get some kind of closet organizer that would attach to the clothing bar at the top.  A trip to Walmart led us to these cute closet organizers...and they were half price!  They're also perfect for holding and organizing all of our school stuff.  The best thing...I can lock the doors to the wardrobe and I don't have to worry about little hands getting into the scissors, glue, and markers!  I might go back and get one more...I think I could squeeze it in the middle.
 With the wardrobe and another big piece of furniture that had a changing table and some drawers moved out of the boys' room, I had to get some kind of clothing storage.  Mom had these two matching chest of drawers that she offered to me.  A friend came over and helped me pick out paint colors that matched the bedding and did a cool color fading thing on the drawers (Pinterest!).  I love it!  It's very subtle, but the blue starts off darker then gets lighter.  The lightest color is on the top surface of the dresser.  We put a changing pad on the top of one of them for the baby (and Isaac for now) and hope to mount some shelves or something on the wall above to hold diapers, wipes, etc. for easy access.
 Here's the other dresser.  I love the green, too! 
I'm so excited about our space-saving and practically free changes.  Sometimes when you're running out of space you don't need to get more space...you just need to purge and repurpose!  I think that will be something I'll have to do continuously as our family grows!
God bless and Happy New Year!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the drawers....so cute!!! I'm glad y'all didn't listen to me and do the "easy" same color on each drawer! This is really unique and cute! Becky is really talented and sweet to have come to help! Now I'm wanting to rearrange and redecorate!! Love, Mom

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh I love that green dresser. It is so cute!!

The Great Adventure said...

Thanks, both of you. I absolutely LOVE how the dressers turned out. They match the bedding and everything in the room perfectly...and I think it's something the boys could grow up with for a while.