Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year's reading resolution...

I was reading my cousin's blog the other day and he mentioned that one of his goals for 2011 was reading one book a week.  At the end of the year, he made a list of all the books he read along with the authors' names.  I thought this was a fun idea.  It's no secret that I love to read.  I've read some awesome books in 2011, but I've never written them down or counted how many.  With my new "toy"...a Kindle...given to me by my parents for my birthday last July, I have definitely read more than ever.  There are so many great, free books out there available on Amazon.com.  Also, if you're a facebook member, there are two pages I check regularly...Inspired Reads and Pixel of Ink.  Both give updates daily on reduced or free books available for Kindle and Nook.  A book lover's dream! 
I wanted to mention a couple of books that I've read in the past couple of weeks.  The first one I read the week before Christmas, so I can't count it on my new 2012 reading list, but I wanted to mention because it was SO GOOD!  And it's reduced price right now!
 The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson (on sale for $1.99 on Amazon)
This is Melanie's second Young Adult (YA) book.  Her first, The Healer's Apprentice, was a new take on the fairy tale Sleeping Beauty.  I loved her first book and was looking forward to getting her second book when it came out in November.  When the book's price fell for a limited time (you can still get it at this price) I jumped a the chance to download it onto my Kindle!  This new book, also set in England, is a different version of the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast.  I read it in less than 24 hours!  It was wonderful!  I loved the "beast" character, Lord Ranulf.  I also love that his heart was transformed not only from the kindness of his young female servant, but also God's Word.  I would definitely recommend it!

A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander...(currently $8.54 on Amazon)
This book was a little more of a splurge, but still reduced from it's original price of $14.99.  I love following Tamera on her blogs and knew how much she put into A Lasting Impression.  All of the books I've read of Tamera's in the past were set in the 1800's west, mostly Colorado, so I wondered how this new setting of 1800s Tennessee, at the Belmont mansion in Nashville, would be.  Tamera did not disappoint!  Her characters had so many layers and they were well developed throughout the book.  I also loved the personal connections I made with the story.  The novel began in New Orleans, which is where the hubby and I went on our honeymoon.  I could picture some of the places mentioned in the story.  One of the sculptures focused on is the same one that is located in a historical home where I used to be a tour guide.  I could totally picture what it looked like.  But even if you don't have those personal connections, you'll love the heart of this story...a desire to live a life that is genuine.  Another must-read and my first of the new year! 

Do you have any reading goals for the new year?  I can't wait to see what great new books I'll get to read!

No comments: