Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Plum jammin'

One of Sophie's Strawberry Shortcake movies has a song on it. Part of it goes, "We're jammin', jammin', strawberry jammin'...we're lookin' for spring and we're jammin'". I kept thinking of that song today as we were plum "jammin'". My grandmother came to visit us today. We call her "Granny". Granny is one of the best cooks I know. She can take ingredients, throw them together and it comes out amazing. I wish I had that gift! She seems to really love it, too. She can walk outside and find some wild fruit, know that it's good, pick it, and make something out of it (like jelly). Today she came to visit us, loaded with food she had cooked for us, and all the stuff to make jelly. After we got Isaac down for his nap, me, Sophie, and Granny got in the kitchen. We mostly watched as Granny showed us how to make plum jelly (the plums she just picked from her yard, of course). She stirred in the Sure-gel, the sugar, and we waited for it to get gel-ified. We had the jars ready and Granny loaded them up (she had it planned perfectly...the last bit fit the last jar). But there was a little we could scrape out of the bottom of the pot and spread on some bread for a taste. It was wonderful! I think I might be ready soon to try my own hand at it. Until then, we've got 12 jars of jelly! : )












No comments: