Sunday, July 25, 2010

Training week 1...and on to week 2

I mentioned in a previous post that I was going to start training for a race. Well, it took me a while to get going. In fact, shortly after that post, we went on a week's vacation. I've mentioned that, too. I can't remember if I mentioned, though, that I ate like crazy on that vacation! I mean...truffles, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, steak, beef stroganoff, these turtle-like things with caramel, pecans, and chocolate...and the list goes on. I must also say that we drank those cherry colas from the bottle...mmmm. Just thinking about it makes me have a little craving...so I'll move on! Anyway, I did the eating fest because I knew that the next week was going to be training week 1. And what a week!

Not only have I started my beginning runner's schedule, I've also begun a new eating plan. My running routine begins with one minute walking, one minute running, etc. I can only do three minutes of running total. I know, kind of sad, but it's a start. It's making me realize how out of shape I'm in! After doing the walk/run thing, I finish out the rest of my 30 minutes with walking. I did this Mon, Tues, and Wed. I got up early and did this! Then Thurs. I did an alternative exercise...Wii tennis. I hope that counts...my arm was really sore the next day so it must've done something! Then Fri. I took a rest day and Saturday I got up early (I haven't done this in a LONG time!) and did the walk/run and ran for 4 1/2 min. Today, Sun., I took another day of rest. I also played softball last Monday. I feel like I've really gotten a good workout this week! As far as the eating goes, I've decided (with the encouragement of a good friend) to eliminate processed sugar. For me that means no sweets, but I still eat some bread and some starches, but not a lot. I'm also not drinking a lot of juice...just 1 cup of grapefruit juice a day, which is supposed to help burn calories when combined with protein. It's kind of hard to drink because I'm not a big fan, so I'm taking it slow. Just every other day right now. I must say, it's been a little tough. I was in the grocery store the other day and I almost felt my mouth physically water when I passed the bakery area. I thought to myself, "I can actually smell the butter!"

Tomorrow I begin week 2. I want to keep it up...it's going to be tough. I've got to get more rest (I haven't done well with that challenge). I also have 2 softball games this week...double exercise. But...I am reminded...I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!

God bless!

1 comment:

Leslie Burch said...

I am proud of you! Love you!~Les