Monday, July 5, 2010

Reflections on another birthday

Growing up I thought my birthday was the best. Not only was I a fourth of July baby, but I loved how it fell almost in the middle of the year so I would get presents about every 6 months because Christmas was a little less than half a year away (pretty funny, huh?!). My birthday was also pretty cool to me because there was always a cookout, a family get-together, homemade chocolate ice cream, and family hanging out together outside 'til dark talking while the kids played kick the cans. I must confess that I also loved the special attention. I've always thought that me and July 4th were always meant to be. : ) The years have passed by and I have so many wonderful birthday memories. There's still a little bit of the kid in me that's gets giddy thinking about my birthday. I still love it. I love the activity, the fireworks, the special treatment...and yes, I do love presents : ). This year was no exception. My husband has his own quiet way of making me feel special. He knows what I like. He doesn't make a big production out of it (like I would ; )), but he does things his own way and I love it. My little one singing "Happy Birthday" is music to my ears. It makes a mom feel special. Having a grown-up birthday is a little different than when you were a kid. You might even have to make your own birthday cake sometimes. But I feel more blessed than I can even express. Another year has passed and I've got a whole new batch of God's blessings to look back on. That's the best gift I could ask for!

1 comment: