Monday, April 18, 2011

What we're reading today...





We try to have story time during homeschool on a regular basis. One of my friends who homeschooled her children through high school has told me on multiple occassions..."be sure to read, read, read!". I try to remember that. I've noticed that Sophie...and Isaac...are already picking up on words that they have seen repeatedly. Especially the titles of movies. They can look at one of those VHS tapes and tell just by the writing on it what movie it is! Anyway, a week or so ago I took the kids to the library. Sophie is always asking to go, so I decided to try it with both of them. Well, let's just say we couldn't stay as long as we wanted to. Within about a minute Isaac is running around and talking in a loud voice, and the librarian is going, "shhh! shhh!". I kept saying, "sorry!" with a touch of embarrassment. One of the books I was able to grab before we had to check out was "Nuts to You!" by Lois Ehlert. I always run over to the Ehlert area to see if I can find something we haven't read yet. I LOVE her books. "Nuts to You!" did not disappoint! Even the cover is cute. It has a big hole cut out of it with the little squirrel looking at you. The title page was a thin strip of paper the color of the bark on a tree with the title and publisher written horizontally. I love the way she thinks outside the box! Throughout the story you see Ehlert's typical artistic style in the illustrations, along with text that isn't too long for small readers. I love how Ehlert labels things in her illustrations, like the types of flowers, birds, and insects. She also included some factual information at the end of the book about squirrels. Educational and entertaining! You just can't go wrong with this author!



On a grownup note, I'm reading Paradise Valley by Dale Cramer. I received this book along with a book called Larkspur Cove by Lisa Wingate for review by Bethany House. So...you will be seeing these titles again in another week or so when I review them! I've finished Larkspur Cove and now I'm starting on Paradise Valley. This is an Amish fiction story, and I'm just getting into it. I like Amish fiction pretty well, but it's taking me a little bit of time to really get into it. I have high hopes, though! We'll see. I really liked Larkspur Cove and look forward to telling you more about it! I'm even hoping I'll get a few more books in the mail. I signed up to get 5...so far I've only gotten 2. We'll see!


One more thing I'm looking forward to reading tonight...my newest Whole Living magazine, which is a Martha Stewart publication. Honestly, I'm not really into the new-agey, body + soul in balance thing, but I have found that there are lots of helpful tips, recipes, and health articles that this magazine contains. The only reason I have a year long subscription is because I got it FREE! Woohoo! There are several websites, my favorite being southernsavers.com, that post tips on free and/or cheap magazine subscriptions (among many other things). I like to have a magazine come in every so often, so if I can find it cheap, then I'll splurge for my birthday or Christmas. In this case, there was no occassion needed! Some of my other favorite magazine subscriptions include Better Homes and Gardens and Taste of Home.

Happy Reading!

No comments: