Sunday, August 15, 2010

Meal with friends: recipe included!

Today we had some friends of ours over for lunch today. We honestly have not done well over the years with hosting people for meals in our home. We were either too tired, too busy, or we wanted to spend that little bit of free time just being together as a family. But we've realized that it's good for us to branch out when we can, and start trying to show hospitality more. This week we had a plan (another of our issues is that we tend to be spontaneous...) and I was able to plan out the meal and get with our friends on what they could bring. It was great! Honestly, I think that cleaning and cooking are so much better when you have someone to talk to and hang out with while you're doing it. That just goes to show how much I love socializing. Even things that I dread become more fun if I've got someone to talk to while I'm doing it. Anyway, back to the subject, our meal was individual meatloaves (it ended up being about 10 of them), backyard potato salad, peas, steamed cheesy mixed veggies, and rolls. Dessert...chips ahoy and fresh strawberries with whipped cream. I went for the fruit as I'm trying to stick to my no processed sugar. It was a good meal. So I wanted to pass on my recipe for backyard potato salad. It's a little different then your traditional potato salad. I also didn't have a recipe today, so I kind of just put it together based on my memory of making it in the past. So, it's not exact : ).

Backyard Potato Salad
Red potatoes (I used 4 large ones today), peeled if desired (it's good with or without the peel)
bacon (I used 3 pieces)
green onion
mayo (I used what was left of my Kraft and then went to generic...but don't use Miracle Whip...it won't taste as good)
Salt to taste
Directions:
Cut up and boil your potatoes until tender. While they're boiling, fry your bacon until crispy (I cooked mine in my electric skillet). Take out your bacon and put it on a paper towel. Cut up your green onion (I used 3 stalks that had about 3-4 stems on each. I also used my kitchen scissors and just cut them instead of cutting them on a cutting board with a knife) and cook the onion in the bacon grease. After it's tender (it just takes a few minutes), you can take the onion out and put it on the paper towel (you don't HAVE to do that, but I wanted to try and lower the grease content). I then wiped out the remaining bacon grease out of my pan with some paper towels. At that point, the potatoes were done. Drain them. I reduced the heat on my skillet, then put the potatoes in the there and added the onion to them. I also crumbled up the bacon and put it in there. Then I added the mayo. You can add as much or as little as you like. I did just enough (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 cup) to cover all of the potatoes when I mixed it up. I then just left the skillet on warm. You can serve this potato salad warm and it's very good. We had leftovers for supper tonight, and it was just as good cold. So you can definitely make it ahead if you'd rather have it cold. Add salt to taste.
And that's the recipe! It's easy and tasty. It's great with steak or with your traditional barbeque-type food. Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

Keisha said...

YUM! Sounds Great! Thanks for sharing Stacey!