Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Stand up!

This post may not be as funny to some of you as it is to me. It's kind of a family thing we do. But I couldn't resist sharing because it just makes me laugh! So here's the story...

From the time Joe and I were first dating, Joe has made it known that he was a long-time Petra fan. Joe and I have a little bit of an age gap/generation gap, but I remembered Petra. Sorry to all of you Petra fans out there, but honestly...I just didn't really care for them. It wasn't really my style of Christian music. I also have an ackward first date story in which my date asked me if I liked Petra, I said, "not really", and he proceeded to turn the Petra music in the car up louder. Oh, the memories! I told Joe that story years ago and we've always kind of laughed about it. But that hasn't stopped Joe from being loyal to the band. He knows, though, that he'll have a little groan from me when it's on.

Fast forward to the days of Sophie and Isaac. Every night when we're getting them out of the tub, we say, "stand up" so that we can put their little hooded towels on them and pull them out of the tub. Before long, Joe started singing a song to them that in my mind was a twangy southern gospel song that I thought I'd heard on the radio. Joe would say, "Stand up, take a stand for Jesus, stand up! for the whole world to see us, following Him, serving Him, fighting the fight that we know we will win...stand up!" After a while, Sophie, who loves songs, starting singing all of those lines pretty clearly. Just a few weeks ago, little Isaac chimed in with his "stan-nup!" And every time he hears the phrase, "stand up", he says it in the tune of the song. I was telling a friend of mine about this the other day. Joe then informed me that this was actually a Petra song! I couldn't believe it! We laughed about how Joe was secretly teaching our kids Petra without my knowledge! So I guess I have to give Petra a little credit and not be so hard on them. Without their song, our kids would probably not be singing about taking a stand for Jesus for the whole world to see. I'll let you judge it for yourself. Enjoy! : )

No comments: