Saturday, August 21, 2010

Meeting a Biggest Loser!

Last Thursday Mom and I were able to attend a women's ministry event at Mabel White Baptist Church in Macon, GA. I was excited about it because I knew that we were going to get to hear from a former Biggest Loser contestant and first runner-up, Julie Hadden. I thought it would be good, but I didn't realize how GREAT it would be!

Julie began by sharing about her life leading up to her auditioning to be on the show. How she had been overweight as a child and had grown up going up and down on the scales over the years. She had married, had a son and found herself in a position of being very uncomfortable with her weight. Trying out for the Biggest Loser was a big step for her.

As I was listening to her testimony, it reminded me so much of my own story. I've mentioned a lot of this before, but I grew up overweight, I had some victories in weight loss over the many years, but never stayed consistent. After having a successful weight loss at the end of my term in Thailand, I came home, got married, and within two years had our first baby. Since then, I've been struggling to get back down to that weight I want to be at. I've recently been trying (I know...I've talked about it a lot) to get to where I need to be.

Hearing Julie's testimony was just another step in my journey to weight loss. Hearing how the Lord opened the doors for her to experience weight loss, but also worked so much in her heart, helped me to see how the Lord was working in my own heart. He wants me to be committed to this weight loss, but not just to look good (which I do want to look good), but to be healthy. To be here for my children as they grow. To set a good example of health and fitness to them. To help others as they want to do the same. And to run that race!

I'm still training for it, by the way. I've finished softball for the year and I'm ready to focus on exercising to train for this moment in my life history...to run my first race! Last week I ran for 7 minutes. Not seven minutes straight, but a total of seven. It still sounds kind of weak, but when I first started, I could barely make it 2 minutes. Progress! Thanks for all of your prayers and encouragement. It means a lot.

Here is a link to Julie's website. Go check it out! If you'd like to have Julie speak at an event in your area, there is a form on her website that you can fill out to connect to her people : ). She's very funny, sincere, and has a heart for the Lord. www.juliehadden.com

May the Lord bless you on your own journey!

1 comment:

Keisha said...

How NEAT Stacey!! Praying for you! I Can't wait to hear of your 5K run!!!!! HOw Awesome! I think i would like to do something like that. ??? lol! you never know?....