Sunday, October 25, 2009

Amazed by Him

Last week I kind of had some trying days. There was nothing anyone did to make me feel blah, it was honestly kind of unexplainable. Physically I wasn't feeling that well, so that may be part of it. But I was struggling a little and really wanted to feel some encouragement. I was looking to different sources to encourage me...friends, family, sleep, cleaning house...but I wasn't having good quality time with my Lord. Isn't it weird how the correlation between not having time with God and having a not-so-great week is so strong?! In my life it is! So last night I sat down and started catching up on my Bible study (Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shirer), which I think is awesome, and there was a verse that stood out to me. It was Matthew 11:28 and Jesus said, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." That's just what I desired. I wanted rest from my anxious thoughts, my weariness, and just feeling blah. I thought, ok, God, I need to come to you with these feelings. I felt a lot of peace last night. I realized that I need to go to Him more for rest, not depend on all those other things to give me rest. I went to bed and woke up today and headed off to church. The title of the sermon today was "Come to Jesus." I love that Chris Rice song (Untitled Hymn) that has that phrase in it's lyrics. I thought, this should be a great sermon. The text...Matthew 11:28-30. Pretty amazing, huh?! I was amazed. The God of the universe set all this up so that I can be encouraged in my daily life. I wrote out the entire passage in my journal.
"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Wow...He knew just what I needed. He's already told me twice in less than 24 hours. I wrote at the top of the page, "God, you are GOOD!!! Thank you for speaking to me!!"
What a great way to start out a new week. Today I was spending time with other believers and studying God's Word and I have felt so encouraged. But most of all I am blessed that I know the one true God, who knows my needs, who loves me, and who wants to encourage me.
Amazing!

1 comment:

Keisha said...

Oh YES He is GOOD!!! THat's great Stacey!! I'm sorry you haven't felt well lately. I hope you have a MUCH better week!
Hugs & Love!