Wednesday, July 29, 2009

New things

It's a week of new things around here. Last Saturday, as I mentioned, I got a new haircut. Here it is! I'm enjoying having short hair and new color. Hair is one of the few things that you can change quickly about your appearance...and for some reason, I often need a change just to break the daily cycle. My husband also likes the new do, so that makes me feel good!


Another ongoing challenge is trying to potty train Sophie. I honestly have not been very consistent. It's been hard since Isaac has been with us. It never fails that I'll be nursing Isaac and Sophie will say, "Mommy, I need to go potty." Usually when Sophie needs to go potty, she doesn't actually potty. She just sits there and wants to play with the toilet paper. But I would really love to have just one child in diapers instead of two. That would be nice. Sophie has actually gone potty before, too. It's just not consistent. So this morning we got up and I took her straight to the potty. She sat there, looked at three books, played with the toilet paper, and by that point I was hungry and tired myself. Isaac was making some noise, too, so we had to move on. But we did something new. I let Sophie put on her little cotton training panties this morning. I put the portable potty on the floor along with a couple of Walmart bags and told her she either needed to sit on the bags or go potty. She did well. She didn't mess up her panties...but she didn't go potty either. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I was thinking today that just when you've got your child past one hurdle, the next one comes up. I guess it'll be like that, though. It's part of being a parent, I'm realizing. It's so much harder than you think it'll be!

Little man has being doing something new, too. He's been sleeping in his "big boy" bed this week for the first time! He's actually done really well, to my surprise! We've had him in our room for 6 months in a pack and play so that he would be close when I needed to feed him. It was actually kind of hard to move him into his room. I kind of miss seeing him at night and hearing him breathe so close to me. But, it was time. Joe and I needed our space. I also think that this will help with getting Isaac into a better routine. He's finally been going to bed before midnight (yay!) and he's also being doing something else new...eating baby food! This boy has been eating! Big time! The new food intake has agreed with him and he's sleeping more. I think this was just what he needed. Here he is sleeping in his room. I didn't get him in the picture very much...I didn't want to wake him up.

So that's what's new with us. What's new with you? Thanks for reading and God bless!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of you with your new, chic hairdo!!! Paige and I had fun coloring and highlighting it for you Saturday night!
By the way, I always love reading your blog even though I know most of it already...I love reading and seeing photos of my precious girl...YOU! I'm so proud who you are!! I love you! MOM

Selena said...

I love your new hair do! I don't have any potty training advice for you (of course we haven't gotten to that stage yet), but when you find something that works definately let me know. I've got a feeling that potty training a boy is going to be very difficult.

Keisha said...

I LOVE your New Do!!!! So sheek & Cute!!!

& Go Sophie!!!!!!
I used a sticker chart for all 3 of mine.. but, what worked for Faith was.. a Jelly Bean jar. 1 bean for a teetee.. 2 for a poopie! lol!
Trust me.. it worked!! She wuz TRYING to make herself go!!! LOL!
love ya!

The Great Adventure said...

Thanks for the encouraging words about my hair! I love it, too! I like to do something new every once in a while! I'll try just about any idea with Sophie. I know I've got to be more consistent, too. I need to get on it! Thanks for the tips!