Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Playdough fun

Today was a fun day! After doing some cleaning at the house, we had some friends, the Walkers, over for playing and eating supper. The kids played together and then we got the stuff out to make homemade playdough! It's very easy and the kids loved it! I didn't get any pictures in the process, but here they are afterwards. They were able to choose what color they wanted and enjoyed cutting out shapes with cookie cutters and played with different little spoons and things I had. This recipe also says that it won't stick to carpet either. Pretty good! Here's the recipe (I got it off of cooks.com):
Homemade Playdough:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 2 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil

Mix ingredients in a sauce pan (I did it in the electric skillet). Cook over medium heat until it forms into a ball, stirring constantly. Food coloring can be added. Knead on waxed paper. Let cool.

Like I said, the kids loved it! We let each child put in a different ingredients and they thought that was fun. My mom used to do this with us when we were kids, so it brought back great memories!

I also made a chicken recipe that my mom gave me for supper. We had it with brown rice and Jiffy cornbread muffins. I'm not sure what it's called :-).

Ingredients:

  • chicken...I used boneless/skinless
  • 1 can corn
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 jar salsa

Layer your crockpot with chicken on bottom, drain your black beans and add them, drain your corn and add it, then pour your jar of salsa on top. Let it cook on high for a few hours or on low for the day. I doubled my recipe and I had a ton left over! You can also sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top...yum!

We also made Lamingtons (an Australian recipe) from the Children's World cookbook. It was delicious! Again, I highly recommend it!

Hope you have a great day!

2 comments:

Keisha said...

Stacey,
We had such a FUN time at your house! The kids LOVED it & haven't stopped talking about it! They LOVE their play dough! lol! Thank you again for the invite, great food, & Great fellowship!!! Our house next!! ;)

The Great Adventure said...

We had a GREAT time too!! Especially me! Thanks so much for coming!! I look forward to getting to hang out with you guys again!