Sunday, August 2, 2009

Loaves and Fishes

It's been a busy weekend, but not too busy. We've had some good relaxation time, and also some good fellowship time. After being gone last week on vacation, it was great to be back at our church and see our church family. I feel very blessed to be in the church that we're in. Our pastor is a wonderful leader and teacher, and most importantly, a man who loves the Lord. Joe and I also enjoy and appreciate the other staff members. It's great to be in a church that has staff that work well together. Tonight while we were at church, we started a new dollar offering. Every Sunday night our church does a special offering in which members are encouraged to give at least a dollar to a different ministry. This month it's a ministery called Loaves and Fishes International. It's an orphanage/foster home in China that ministers to children with special needs. We watched a short video about this ministry and it brought tears to my eyes. To see these precious little ones--their names and faces--spoke to my heart. I am praying that God would affirm to Joe and I if adoption is in His plan for our family and when/where He wants us to adopt from. We are open to what He leads us to do. Here's the link to loaves and fishes:
http://www.loavesandfishesintl.com/ . If I count it out, I know and am friends with at least 9 families who have adopted children. I don't think that is a coincidence. We'll see what God does. I would love your prayers!
On a totally different note, I told a friend of mine that I would give her a homemade granola recipe that I had. I thought it might be good just to post it on here. I thought I had posted it before, but I didn't see it. So...hope you enjoy! This is a great snack or breakfast granola. It's also good on top of yogurt or ice cream.
Homemade Granola:
  • 3 cups oats
  • 2 1/8 oz sesame seeds
  • 1 pkg. salted sunflower seeds
  • sliced almonds
  • 1/2 cup coconut
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup dates

Combine first 5 things in a large bowl ( I don't really care for the seeds, so I usually leave those out...you can basically pick whether or not you want the seeds, almonds or coconut, but you must have the oats!). Combine honey and next 5 things in a bowl. Pour honey mix over oat mix and stir. Spread mixture in a pan (I usually use a cookie sheet that has the sides on it so nothing will run over into the oven). Cook at 325 degrees for 20 min (I usually get it out after 10 min, use a spatula and flip it over as best I can and then let it cook another 10 min). Add raisins (and I guess the dates, too) after cooking.

This has got a great taste to it! Hope you like it! God bless!

2 comments:

Keisha said...

Oh STACEY... I just love you & Joe!! I know its no coincidence either that you have this many friends who have adopted! We're so glad God put you guys in our life & I CAN NOT wait to see what God has in store for your precious family!!
Love you!
Man,.. I hate I missed that video!

The Great Adventure said...

Thanks, Keisha! We'll see what God wants to do. If you saw that video, you would've loved it! We love you guys, too, and are thankful for you!!