Monday, August 17, 2009

What's cookin'?

It's been a productive past couple of days and a great day of rest on Sunday. Me and the kids took naps for the first time in a LONG time. I miss Sophie taking naps! When she does take a nap during the day, she's totally awake at night. But she always sleeps for long periods of time at night, which is nice. As I was trying to figure out what to fix for supper tonight, I wanted to use up some buttermilk that I had bought to make my "healthy" chocolate cake with. So I gave Mom a call (she always knows a good recipe). She gave me an awesome recipe that I made tonight. Yum!
Buttermilk chicken:
  • bone-in or boneless chicken breasts (I used three boneless for our family...and still had one left over)
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup (I didn't have cream of chicken, but I did have a cream of chicken/cream of mushroom mix....it was still good!)
  • buttermilk--some for dipping chicken in and enough to fill the can of soup once it's emptied
  • butter
  • flour--enough for flouring chicken in

Preheat oven to 400. Get your defrosted chicken out and dip it in buttermilk. After dipping the chicken, roll it in flour. Melt 1 stick of butter (I actually could've used less...it was a little too much butter. You might could even use butter spray in the bottom of the dish). Put the butter in a casserole dish/pan and lay the chicken in it. Put the chicken in the oven for about 30 min. or until chicken is almost cooked. Mix 1 can of cream of chicken soup and pour buttermilk into the empty can and mix them together in a bowl. Then take the chicken out and pour the mixture over the chicken and put it back in the oven until it's bubbling and a little brown (I'm guessing it was about 15-20 min.) Good stuff!

I made rice to go with it (the gravy from the chicken is awesome over rice....or you could do mashed potatoes), fresh corn from the freezer, fresh peas, and for dessert I cut up some kiwi and apples. Very good! Sophie LOVED the kiwi. When I had everything put away, I noticed I had one pretty ripe banana and one partial banana that Sophie ate part of this afternoon. Normally I would just toss them because I didn't have time to do anything with them. Well, tonight I mashed them on a plate, put them in my mini-food processor and it made almost exactly one 1/2 cup of banana puree. I stored it in a baggy, labeled it, and now I've got banana puree to make something with! I also popped out all of my baby food from my ice cube trays, put the different things in baggies, labeled them, and back to the freezer they went. Honestly, I'm not really sure what is motivating me this much! Well...I think I do know. It's the Lord! That may sound weird, but I've been praying that God would give me motivation to eat and cook healthier for my family and also to keep up my house. He is so faithful! Not only did I do all of this cooking, but I also went through all of our files, threw out a bunch of stuff, and found a document of Isaac's that I had been looking for and praying I would find. Praise the Lord! He is so good! Even to help a struggling woman like me!

May the Lord bless you today!

No comments: