Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What's cookin'?

Labor was busy and a lot of fun! We had some fun friends over for dinner...something we don't do as often as we'd like! We were scurrying to get the house cleaned up (sometimes we do some of our best and fastest cleaning when we're expecting company :-D). I decided to make something from our Children's World Cookbook...goulash from Hungary. It basically like a beef stew with stew beef, potatoes, onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, and water. The thing that worried me a little bit was the two TABLESPOONS of paprika that I put in! :-) But thankfully it didn't come off too strong. I think that's the most paprika I've used in years! :-) At the end of cooking it, you make this dough dumplings and put on the top. It was a nice, hearty dish that I served with brown rice and some of those Sister Schuster yeast rolls...I think I could eat a whole pan of those by myself!! They're so good!

Dessert was some of my chocolate chip cookies I made from Deceptively Delicious (they have chickpeas in them...you can't even taste them, though!) and smoothies! The smoothies were awesome! It was my first time making smoothies, and they turned out better than I thought they would! Here's what I did...

Fruit smoothie
  • frozen strawberries (about 10-13)
  • frozen pineapple (about 10 chunks)
  • 1 banana
  • low fat vanilla yogurt

I put all of these ingredients in my blender, fruit first, and then added as much yogurt as I needed to smooth it out. Everyone enjoyed it, including the kids! Isaac even got a few tastes and was all smiles!

Hope you all had a great Labor Day! God bless!

No comments: