Tuesday, June 23, 2009

An Adventure Reader

I've been an avid reader since I was very young. I've read more books than I can count. My taste in books has changed a lot over the years. I used to love reading Tom Clancy books (The Hunt for Red October is one of my favorites). In college I got really interested in reading children's literature, mainly because I was studying to be a teacher and had to take a very difficult course in children's literature....and really enjoyed it! As I've gotten older, my tastes have gravitated towards Christian fiction. Specifically westerns. What is it about these western stories that I love so much?! Maybe it's the setting...they're always set in beautiful places that I've yet to see with my own eyes. The women that are the main characters in most of the stories usually have some kind of problem, of course, but amazingly determined, smart, resourceful, and with it being Christian fiction, are seeking the Lord in the story. It's hard to put it into words, but it's so fascinating to me. Even though I think westerns are my fav...I like stories set in other places, too. I just basically love to read. Christian fiction is also very comfortable to read because they don't contain bad language or other things that may cause a stumble. I just finished a book tonight so this topic is on my mind. I wanted to recommend some of my favorite books and authors. My goal is to read more classics, too. I plan to read some with Sophie and Isaac as they get older.
Christian fiction authors/books I've enjoyed...




I love all the "Love Comes Softly" series by Jeannette Oake...and a lot of her other books. Kristen Heitzmann is also a favorite. This series, the Rose Legacy, is one of my number one western favorites. The last one, by Tamera Alexander, is what I just finished. I stayed up late last night and have been stealing moments all day to sit and read it. It was great! I've read some other great westerns, but the author's names have slipped my mind at the moment. I'm blessed to have a church library to check out books from!
I could go on and on about books...I have lots of children's chapter books and picture books that I love, but I think it would take up too much space! Maybe some other time.

**Pray for me as this week is Vacation Bible School at our church. I'm teaching the 2 year old class! My little girl is in there and I've been challenged as a mother and as a teacher this week. I know God has a lot for me to learn through this experience. The look on Sophie's face in this picture says a little about how worn out we are...I'll hopefully blog more next week! Until then...God bless!

2 comments:

Keisha said...

I know what you mean!!! B-man.. is NOT his self when ever I teach his group! I could just PINCH his head off! lol!
I lol.. when I saw that sweet little Sophie's face!!!!
Tell her 2.. stop acting like Joe! lol!

The Great Adventure said...

Girl...tonight was rough, too. All the kids are worn out, pushing each other, crying...and Soph was right there with them! I'm lol now, but about an hour ago...let's just say it wasn't funny! The Lord is teaching me endurance among other things!