Friday, June 12, 2009

A day of activity

Today I was able to go to a big homeschool fair in Perry, GA. I went last year and enjoyed it and it was a lot of fun to go again this year! They always have lots of great used books to look at and a good bit of homeschool curriculum to take a look at. Each time I've been I've gotten ideas for what I would like to do with Sophie when she gets a little older. It makes me more and more excited about homeschooling her! I was also able to get her several Veggie Tales videos, an Elmo video (she's already watched it once and loves it!), Cinderella, and the cartoon Robin Hood. We have a VHS player in our minivan, so these will hopefully provide some new entertainment!
After the fair, I went to Hobby Lobby for the first time. What a neat place! My friend, Machelle, was going, so I kind of followed her over to the fabric dept. She told me they have great fabric there. I headed over there and saw lots of cute stuff! I got a little bit and my wheels started turning on a potential project I have wanted to do for Sophie. Ok...but I have about zero sewing abilities! But for some reason I believe that I will be able to sew her something! But this time...I actually took some action! No one was at the house to help me get started with my great-aunt's sewing machine that was passed to me from my grandmother. Mom has used it before, but I haven't! Well, I get that baby unfolded from it's little table and start trying to figure it out. Immediately I dial Mom's number. She couldn't remember all about the way mine works, so I got the manual out. I got my bobbin threaded!! Yay! I got it in, and threaded my needle. Then I started practicing and ran into a few issues. I kept practicing and thought I got it. Then I got out my fabric that I had already cut out and pinned. Here it goes...my first seam. It went pretty well until something messed up with the machine and I have a bunched up stitch and then no stitch at all for about an inch and a half. Boo! Mom suggested I stop and try to get someone over to help me figure out what's going on. I didn't get even part of the way done, but maybe someone will be available tomorrow to come help me figure it out. But hey...I got pretty far for never having done this on my own before. And who knows...maybe I'll end up liking this sewing thing!!
Here's the old Singer and my cute fabric on the side. I hope the little dress turns out!!
Blessings!

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Hey Stacey.
Has the machine had a tune-up recently? That really helped mine that was passed down to me from my grandmother. I've not had problems since.

The Great Adventure said...

Oh, man...I have no clue if it's had a tune-up..but I would guess the answer would be no. I'll have to try that. I would love to be able to use it...it's a neat little machine. Thanks for the suggestion!