Thursday, June 25, 2009

Whatcha watchin'?

Over the past several years I feel like the Lord has led me on a personal journey of cleaning out my mind. This is an ongoing journey and I'm still not where I need to be. Before I elaborate, I also want to say that this is something God has done in my life, so I don't want to seem to be condemning those of you out there that don't share the same conviction. But God has been good to lead me in this direction. I needed it. From the time I was pretty young, I really didn't limit myself when it came to movies, TV shows, or books. I read or watched pretty much anything that seemed good. I loved soap operas, romance novels, a good love story or action film, etc. But I also struggled with replaying those stories in my mind...and most of those were causing me to be discontent with life. I didn't realize it at the time, but most of those "stories" are totally not realistic. Duh, right?! But when you're single, and you read or see these romantic couples, you think that's what you're missing out on! After college, I went to Thailand to teach missionary kids and was surrounded by Godly men and women who challenged me...especially in what movies I saw. It was hard at times, but it was so great to have friends who would be willing to walk out of a movie if it was not something we should see. So my book and viewing choices began to change. So did my struggles. My mind was clearer and a little more free from the things I had been struggling with. When I came home from Thailand and got married, my husband didn't go to movies much. When he did go, he was very guardful of what he saw. This has impacted me in a huge way. It was an even bigger challenge for me, as it limited even more of what I watched. But it drew me closer to the Lord, and has helped me to be protective over my mind and the mind of my husband. Now that we have children, I realize how much they absorb from the tv. We've already had to correct Sophie on some words she's repeated from the tv. It is a huge challenge for me...but as I want to know Christ more and honor Him with what I put in my mind, and the minds of my children, I press on! Here is a website that I use like crazy. I check every movie on there before we go to the movies or rent a movie. I think it has tv shows and music on there, too. It's put out by Focus on the Family and it's called Plugged In.
http://www.pluggedinonline.com/
Check it out!
Blessings!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankf for the info about this website..I'm going to use it.

Leslie Burch said...

Stacey,
Another good site is: www.christiancinema.com

Take care.-Les