Friday, May 29, 2009

Life

Today has been a good day. We're waiting for the new arrival of baby Noah Mangrum, my cousin John and his wife's little one. Of course it brings back memories of my own experience having my two little ones. We also went to my niece's birthday party today. Seeing all the little children, including my own, so alive and active is such a blessing. We got to visit with more family this afternoon and then ate with even more family before heading back to Eastman. It's always fun to me to spend time with loved ones. We also made a trip over to the nursing home where my grandfather has been for the past several years. He's had Alzheimer's disease for quite a while and is now just a shell of what he once was. Just this week he's contracted pneumonia in both lungs and is only given about a week to live. I wanted to see him one last time and take Sophie and Isaac, even though grandaddy didn't seem to know we were there. Even though I grieved about 4 years ago when he went in and didn't recognize us, I still grieve today. I wish he could've known his great-grandchildren. While we were there, Sophie said hello to him and rubbed his arm. She told him she loved him. Precious girl. I've been remembering a lot about the wonderful times I had growing up with grandaddy. He and grandma had a place on the lake. Grandaddy taught me how to bait a minnow. He would always tell me I was a pretty girl...even when I didn't feel pretty. He was always joking around and keeping all of us laughing. He was also a man who loves the Lord. Even in the grief, I am thankful for his life. And I'm thankful for the lives of those around me. New life. The lives of my children and even baby Noah who's just entering this world. I don't want to take it for granted! Thank you, God, for also giving me new life in You. The greatest blessing of all. I look forward to seeing grandaddy again one day in Heaven.

God bless!

No comments: