Sunday, May 17, 2009

We love to read!




I'm a big reader. I've loved to read since I was a little girl and I hope to pass this love on to Sophie and Isaac. When Sophie was born, I didn't really do a lot of reading with her, even though I knew I should and wanted to. I think I was just a little overwhelmed with all the other things that were required of me, that we didn't start looking a books a lot until later. But as she grew, we started reading. Thankfully my lack of sit down and read time during her infanthood has not affected her desire now! So when I was thinking of what to do for Sophie's second birthday, and I knew she didn't really need toys or clothes, I thought...what about a book party! My friend, LeeAnn, is a Usborne books consultant, and she agreed to host the birthday party and our guests could get Sophie a book as her gift. I made a wish list and our guests could choose from that. It turned out great! I even designed a storybook cake that my mom decorated for me. We made bookmarks at the party and I gave each child book stickers that they could write their name on to put in their own books. The children were also invited to dress up as their favorite book character. You may wonder what prompted me to write about this since her party was in January. Well, I'd like to promote an event on a friend of mine's blog, which is the Spring Children's Book Parade. Here's a link to the site, the six o'clock stitch...


Happy reading! Above are some pics from Sophie's party!
Here are some of our favorite stories...
All the Places to Love by Patricia Maclachlan
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Noah's Ark by Jan Brett
Animalia by Graham Base
Grandfather's Journey by Allen Say
Baby Einstein books (Sophie loves Baby Einstein!)
and so many more!

No comments: