Saturday, May 9, 2009

What's cooking?!

Today was a fun day! I got a visit from one of my old high school friends, Laura, and her husband, Bobby. We had a great time catching up and having lunch together. I wanted to make some easy things, but also light and tasty. So here's what's cooking...

Chicken Salad~
(this is a little different from the way I would normally fix it, but I really like it on bread or crackers...or when I was pregnant...on dill pickle flavored Pringles :-))
  • Two large cans of white chicken breast, drained
  • 1 small can of crushed pineapple, not drained
  • chopped pecans, onions, celery (as much as you prefer)
  • Mayo (enough to cover all the chicken)
  • craisins (or dried cranberries, whichever you prefer)

As you can tell, this is all not very measured. You just mix it all up and enjoy! If there's something you don't like, you can leave it out. It's got kind of a sweet taste to it, which I like. I usually have it with the craisins, but today I had some dried cranberries already, so I used that and it was good. Hope you like it!

Grape salad~

Most of you have probably already had this. I've had it many times and it's addictive!

  • 4 lbs green or red grapes (seedless...you can also cut them in half if you like...I left them whole)
  • 8 oz sour cream
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup sugar in the raw (or brown sugar)
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)

Mix sour cream, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla together (I did it with a mixer). Mix these ingredients in with the grapes. Sprinkle the brown sugar or sugar in the raw and nuts over the top (I didn't need to use that much on the top...just enough to cover it).

We also had some celery and carrots with Hidden Valley Ranch dip, tortilla chips and salsa, and a Jell-O no bake cherry cheesecake that I added almond flavoring to. Yum...I don't know about ya'll, but I love anything almond flavored. Don't get me started on Fresh Market's almond pillow cookies...I could eat my weight in those things!

Hope all of you have a great Mother's Day. God bless!

No comments: