Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What's cookin'?

Well, it was nothing spectacular as far as recipes go, but we loved it! One of my favorite meals is breakfast. I usually don't have the time or energy to do a big morning breakfast, so often we have a breakfast supper! I usually make pancakes. Let me recommend Bisquick's Shake and Pour pancakes! This is awesome! I get the family size (for $1.98 at Walmart) and it makes a BIG stack of pancakes! Enough for a couple of meals! I also made some scrambled eggs with cheese, which are always good, and some muffins. Now, I love muffin mixes. I usually use the Martha White packages...all you have to add is milk. Tonight I did the honey bran muffins. This is some good fiber! But I like to jazz it up a little bit. I always love adding stuff to those packages. Tonight I added some mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (you don't have to add much...a little goes a long way!) and some coconut (I just discovered that Sophie loves coconut!). Yum! They turned out good...and I got two extra muffins by adding the extra things. Check it out...

Sophie ate hers up! So did I! Joe got his later when he got home, and we still have several pancakes left and some muffins. Even though I didn't make them tonight, I thought I would include the best grits suggestion ever! This is what I grew up eating and I personally think it's the best. You basically get whatever type of grits you normally buy (I usually get the box or little bag of the quick grits). You cook them according to the package directions, but right before they're done (they're still a little soupy), you add one egg to them and stir it in and the egg cooks in the grits. We also add some pieces of cheddar cheese and some butter...about a tablespoon. All of it will melt and your grits will have a light yellow color to them. Man...they're good! I usually can't do the regular white grits after having these.

Hope you have a great day!

God bless!

2 comments:

Selena said...

I tried the Honey Bran Muffins with chocolate chips (no coconut) & the grits this morning. They were GREAT! Do you have any more suggestions for additions to any Martha White muffin mixes?

The Great Adventure said...

Well, one thing that you can add is just a little bit of almond flavoring. If you like that flavor. It would probably be good with the strawberry or the blueberry or even the bran? You could add the coconut to probably any of them and the choc. chips to the strawberry would be good. Adding wheat germ to any of them is another good fiber addition if your kids need more fiber and you just about can't taste it. It gives kind of a nutty flavor. I also like to add stuff to pancakes. I've added some quick Quaker oats, bananas, pecans, chocolate chips, and almond flavoring to my pancakes before (but not all at once! :-D). If you come up with any ideas, let me know!